Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Explanation of the Units System

As a gambling man, it's only fitting that I post my picks of the day when I see games that jump out at me as good bets.

I'm going to be using the unit system here to keep track of how well/poorly I'm doing. A "unit" usually ranges anywhere between .5% to 3% of your total bankroll, and defines how much the standard amount you bet on a game is. For example, if you have $1000 and like to risk $10 (1%) of your bankroll per game, then $10 is your unit size. Occasionally there are high-percentage plays that you might put 2 or even 3 units on; but this is usually not advised, because you are then overvaluing your multi-unit bets and undervaluing your single unit bets. Betting too much on a single game is suicide, because you'll always lose your biggest bet. How do I know that? Well, assume you bet $200 on a game with your $1000 bankroll (20% on a single game is far too risky) and win. Now you've got $1200. People willing to bet 20% of their bankroll on a game now make the easy connection; "I can bet $400 on the next one, because even if I lose, I only lost that original $200" (This was me a few years ago). Repeat until you lose.

You might be asking how a unit stays consistent when your bankroll fluctuates. A good question, because $10 a game might make sense when you have $1000, but if you win your way up to $2000 or lose your way down to $500, this number might be outdated. The trick is to give yourself re-assessment points. Keep your unit size consistent until you hit one of these points. Sticking with our $1000 bankroll example, re-assessment points would probably be around $750 and $1250. If you fall below $750 or go above $1250, it might be time to adjust your unit size accordingly, as well as setting new evaluation points; such as $600 and $900 for $750, or $1000 and $1500 for $1250.

Money management is the key to successful gambling, and if you do bet on sports, you just need to find a system that works for you. I do highly recommend betting the same amount on almost every game. I will make 2 unit plays (and the occasional 3-unit play I'm sure), but getting above that is too risky.

Happy gambling everyone.

No comments: